The Crackerbarrel - Elgin History Museum


Elgin Area Historical Society News

The Crackerbarrel VOLUME 50 NUMBER 4 SEPTEMBER 2013

26th Annual Cemetery Walk Sept 22

President’s Report

Laura Stroud, Board Secretary

July  got  off  with  a  bang, thanks  to  John  Arcand,  Bill Moring  and  Anthony Pedoti—In  January  John came  to  our  appraisal  fair with his Riverview Motorcy‐ cle  collection,  consisting  of ephemera on the motorcycle races  held  at  Chicago’s  Riv‐ erview  amusement  park  in the  1910s.  The  collection includes information on the 1913 Elgin Motorcycle Race, President George Rowe the  first  nationally  sanc‐ tioned  motorcycle  race  in the country. Mr Arcand encouraged the Museum to honor  that  date,  and  we  did.  Bill  Moring  and Anthony Pedoti helped locate the trophy in Ohio and John was kind enough to pay for shipping the trophy to  Elgin  in  time  for  its  100th  anniversary  on  July  4. John  Arcand  and  Bill  Moring  gave  a  talk  at  the Museum in June on the 1913 motorcycle race.  In early July, we entertained a delegation from Chile. Bob Bedard, an Elgin firefighter, was among a group that reached out to Cauquenes, Chile after they suf‐ fered a tsunami in 2010. Cauquenes became a sister city of Elgin, and a group including City Councilman Dunne  and  his  wife  Judy  visited  Caucannes  earlier this year. A group of “Bombadierres” (firemen) and other  civic  leaders  repaid  the  visit  to  Elgin  in  July. I reached out to the group and arranged their visit to the Museum. Thanks to a tremendous translator, Mrs Green, all had a nice time. The  windmill  is  finally  ready  to  be  installed!  Alan Walters, a board member and sales rep for Benjamin Moore, is our technical advisor on painting the tower. Alan was there the first day with Maury Dyer as the volunteers  gathered  at  Frank  Engelʹs  farm.  Frank donated  use  of his  barn  and equipment.  Volunteers

A reminder that the 26th annual cemetery walk is coming  up  on  Sunday, September  22,  2013  at Bluff City Cemetery. Six former  Elginites  will  be portrayed and there will also  be  two  vignettes. You will hear from Mary Stewart,  Edward  Szula, Levi  Tennant,  Louis Blum,  Polly  Rutland and Annie Tallent.   The vignettes  will  be  about Dr.  Benjamin  Browne, founder  of  Judson  Uni‐ versity, and the common grave  site  were  many Eddie Szula were moved from Chan‐ ning Cemetery. We have an interesting story about this move. So come enjoy an afternoon of history and entertainment and donʹt forget to wear those “comfortable” walking shoes. Tickets may be purchased online at

or by mailing a check to the Museum at 360 Park St., Elgin 60120. Tickets are also sold at Ziegler Ace Hard‐ ware, 258 N. Spring St. or 1158 Lillian St., Elgin. • Adults, at the gate: $10.00 • Adults, purchased in advance: $8.00 • Elgin Area Historical Society Members: $8.00 • Children  14  and  younger,  accompanied  by  an adult: Free




The Crackerbarrel Published bimonthly by the Elgin Area Historical Society 360 Park Street, Elgin, IL 60120 Phone 847‐742‐4248 e‐mail: [email protected]

this method to donate to the Society, as there are tax benefits to using stock investments in this way. When donating,  you  may  wish  to  consider  donating  stock instead of cash. Discuss financial decisions with your broker or investment advisor.

abc President: George Rowe Vice President: Terry Gabel Secretary: Laura Stroud Corr. Secretary: Ricky Harris Treasurer: William Briska

Program Schedule for 2013 David Nelson, Program Chair Check the website for the latest details. September 15, 1 P.M.: “Bike Chain” bicycle ride past Elgin’s museums. No cost. 

abc Editor: Rebecca Marco The Crackerbarrel welcomes reader contributions. Next deadline October 20, 2013


Visit our website

Opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the  Society’s Board of Directors.  ©2013 Elgin Area Historical Society. All rights reserved.

scraped, encapsulated, primed and painted the tower. Over  three  weekends  volunteers  contributed  about 150  hours  of  labor.  It  was  really  hot,  but  Frank’s  lift allowed us to maneuver all over the tower without a lot of climbing or ladders. Volunteer Verna Homewood’s grandfather worked for the windmill company, and she is looking for a picture of him at the factory. We are very interested in mem‐ bers’ stories or photos on the windmill company. On  Sept.  7,  it  will  be  erected  on  the  foundation installed in Foundry Park by Lamp Inc. Many thanks to Ian Lamp and Greg Bohlin from Lamp Inc. Jim Bell from the city of Elgin is working on fencing, landscap‐ ing  and  lighting.  Take  a  look  if  you  pass  on  the  7th while enjoying the Gifford Park Association’s house‐ walk. In  July  our  friend  Jackie  Vossler  put  together  a  pro‐ gram on artist Margaret Iannelli with Tim Samuelson, the  City  of  Chicagoʹs  cultural  historian.  Margaret Ianelli was a talented artist who was a patient of the Elgin Mental Health Center for almost 30 years. Like so  many  of  our  programs,  this  one  brought  a  com‐ pletely  new  crowd  to  the  Museum.  Many  thanks  to Jackie,  a  huge  influence  at  our  Museum  and  a  great influence on me.  Welcome four new life members to EAHS. Chandler Swan,  a  longtime  member  and  past  board  member, signed up for life membership with his wife, Pamela. Chan also gave his son Christopher and daughter‐in‐ law  Jennifer  life  memberships.  Chandler  purchased his  lifetime  memberships  with  stock.  Thank  you  to Chandler  and  his  family!  Other  members  have  used


Meet in Lord’s Park, behind the Elgin Public Museum. Join members of the Elgin Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Com‐ mittee  on  a  family‐friendly  six‐mile  bike  ride,  visiting  the Elgin  History  Museum,  Fire  Barn  #5  Museum,  Police Museum, and back  to  the Elgin  Public Museum. A repre‐ sentative from each museum will give a brief overview of their museum, and possibly share an artifact. Riders must wear a helmet, and sign a waiver/release. Riders under the age of 18 must have a release signed by a parent or guard‐ ian. Minimum age for participants is 10.

September 22, 11 A.M.‐3:00 P.M.: Cemetery Walk Bluff City Cemetery Sept. 26, 2013, 7:00 P.M.: History of Hispanics in Elgin A panel discussion at the Elgin History Museum  Oct. 1, 2013, 7:00 P.M.: Elgin During the Vietnam War by Jerry Turnquist Gail Borden Public Library  October 13, 1‐3 P.M.: General Meeting Program on Thanksgiving with Penelope Bingham Oct. 30, 2013, 7  P.M.: The Lincoln Funeral Train with Bill Werst & Tom Peterson, Gail Borden Public Library  November 9, 6‐10 P.M.:Annual Benefit/ Silent Auction/General Meeting.  Elgin History Museum, 360 Park St., Elgin, IL Program: Captain Henry Detweiller on The Role of Steamboatinʹ in the Union Victory! with Brian Ellis $35 Members/$45 Non‐Members ‐ Advance tickets required Based on the pilotʹs logs of Captain Detweiller, Brian “Fox” Ellis immerses the audience in the vital, though unsung role of steamboats in the siege of Vicksburg, the capture of Nat‐ chez, and the horrors of Shiloh. Captain Henry Detweiller was there and shares an eyewitness account. He delivered troops and supplies during the Civil War, was a friend of Lincoln and rival of Mark Twain. Fox brings these stories to life in a first person monologue that shares a unique voice in this important chapter of river history.

December 7, 1‐3 P.M.: Annual Holiday Tea A Christmas Musical with Rise Jones, Soprano; Betty Volkening, Violinist; and David J. Nelson, Pianist. At 1:30 p.m. Rochelle Pennington presents “An Old Fash‐ ioned Christmas.” Refreshments provided!



Elgin African American History Project

Thank You Donors! Board Fundraiser Donors Thanks for a great response to the Board Fundraiser this year, which was dedicated to the Windmill Proj‐ ect. Funds will be used to install and care for the wind‐ mill  as  well  as  to  support  and  operate  the  Museum. Thank you for your help. Albright, Beatrice Anderson, Bernice Anderson, James and Sara  Ellen Barnhart, Jerri and Ken Brandes, James and Rhonda Brown, Betty Burke, Christopher and  Susan Busche, Leon Chevalier, Carol Conley, Ronald and Mary DeMoulin, Barbara Dittmann, Charles Dyer, Maurice Elbert, Marvin and Donna Emmert, Judy Felicetti, Richard and Sharon Gill, Jeffrey Grimm, Rick and Kathleen Hagemann, Geraldine Handrock, Carole Hernandez, Peggy Hopp, Donna Jocius, Patricia Ludwig, Ernest Magowan, Marilyn McIntyre, Susan Missele, Carl and Chris Muchow, Stephen Nichols, Richard Pielin, Don Reid, Jeffrey and Elaine Rock, Linda Roxworthy, Dennis Sayre, Glenda Schnell, Theodore Siegenthaler, David Smith, H. Jane Turnquist, Jerry and Kathleen Weseman, Margaret and Ed Wilson, Beatrice Ziegler, Phyllis


Alft, E.C. Anderson, Charlen Armistead, Betsy and Dwight Blizzard, Harry and Phyllis Briska, Bill and Fran Cella Brown, William H. and Sally Burnap, Darlene and Rick Cabrera, Judith Childs, Helen Crinigan, Linda and Jim Dieringer, Roger Dunning, Terry Eder, Linda Elliott, Lucy and Mark Epping, Hugh Flaks, Carl and Mary Ellen Greenwald, Barbara Grosser, Patricia Hallock, Alma Hempstead, Jean Hoeft, Elizabeth Huntoon, Carol Lawrence, John Lytle, Miriam Marston, Elizabeth and John Miller, Dan and Patricia Moylan, Susan Nelson, David and Dolores Pellicore, Joyce Redeker, Carol Reinert, Coral Rowe, George and Marge Rush, Carrie Schmoldt, William and Mar‐ garet Schroeder, Kathleen Shales, John and Marlene Sutton, Raleigh and Kathleen Utt, Norma Whitcomb, Edward Wojciechowska, Miroslawa

Thanks to the Seigle Family Foundation for offering a matching grant of $8,000 to start the research and oral history phase of the project. Matching donors include Rick  Jakle,  Elgin  Heritage  Commission,  Tom  Rakow for  the  IHC  Foundation,  Sherman  Hospital,  Elgin Community College, and the Palmer Foundation.

New Windmill Club Donors The Society thanks Margaret Krueger for her generous gift to support the Windmill Project. Many thanks to Geraldine  Hagemann,  Carl  and  Chris  Missele,  Lucy and  Mark  Elliott,  Sue  and  Bill  Moylan,  Jeff  Gill  and Family,  Susan  McIntyre,  the  Tennison  Family,  Alan Abell,  Bob  and  Judy  Schroeder,  Dave  Buck,  Maurice Dyer, and George and Marge Rowe.

Goodbye to Lucy Elliott Rebecca Marco, Editor Though we are all sorry to see her go, we had a great time at the  farewell  party  for  former Museum Educator Lucy Elliott at  Elgin  Public  House  on  July 22. Sara Russell, Museum Edu‐ cator  at  the  Elgin  Public Museum, has assumed the role of Museum Educator. Hannah Walters will take on the duties of collections manager.

Thanks Lucy!

Welcome New Members! Bob Bedard Willard Dulabaum William Kostlevy Family Valerie Pestor‐Eaton Bill and Ruth Werst

Michael and Debra Donahoe Phyllis Gerberding Juanita Niswonger Gail Solovay Family Vaughnese Williams

Fred Blesse, Elgin Boy: Ike’s Doctor Richard Renner, Board Member Elgin 100 years ago was a launching pad for many suc‐ cessful lives, including that of Brigadier General Fred‐ erick Arthur Blesse. It is appropriate to recognize Fred Blesse on the 100th anniversary of his graduation from medical school and the 70th anniversary of his central role  in one of  the most  notorious  incidents  of  World War II. Fred was born in Elgin on November 22, 1888. He  grew up in the family home at 227 College St. with  several siblings and his parents, Henry and Carolina 



Wilhelmina Sophia “Minna” Soost Blesse. Henry and  Minna came to America in the mid‐1870s from  Hanerau and Munster in Germany, a country that  would have a big impact on Fredʹs life. They married  in Boone County in 1879, and Henry moved to Elgin  to find his fortune. He started in the pop business on  Gifford street but soon was dispensing harder  beverages in saloons and “sampling rooms” on River  Street and Douglas Avenue. He was known for his  generosity and attachment to his German heritage,  serving as an officer and active member of Elginʹs  Turnverein.

227 College St in the Old Days This  cozy  family  picture  suddenly  changed.  On  the morning  of  Fredʹs  eleventh  birthday,  November  22, 1899,  his  father  died  of  heart  disease  at  the  family home.   Henry left his wife and five children a personal estate of only $575. It included a $100 back bar, a $50 cash  register  and  stocks  of  rum,  bitters,  cigars,  and “Elgin” beer. This modest legacy apparently was con‐ sumed in paying debts to Phil Freiler and other local liquor interests. The Blesse family stayed in their College St. home, but Henryʹs death must have been a hard financial blow. Perhaps this is why it does not appear that any of the children—several  of  whom  would  have  significant professional  careers—graduated  from  Elginʹs  acad‐ emy or high school.   As a teenager Fred was employed at  the  watch  factory  with  his  sister  and  another brother, but the 1910 Census records the 21‐year‐old in his motherʹs home and working as a nurse. Evidently medicine was a greater draw to Fred than watchmaking.  On  March  20,  1913,  with  the  headline “Fred  Blesse  Becomes  M.D.,”  the  Elgin  Daily  News reported that the son of Minnie Blesse of 227 College St. was graduating from Rush Medical College after a six‐year course.   In fact Fred had graduated from the Hahnemann Medical College of Chicago, not Rush.


Fred  had  married  18‐year  old  Marie  Hester  on October 1,  1912,  and  with  a  new  wife  and  medical degree he seemed set for a rewarding life as a Chicago physician.  But  on  November  23,  1916,  Elgin  Courier headlines announced “Dr. Frederick Blesse Divorced At Chicago; Wife Is Stage Struck.” Fred, described as “well known and esteemed in Elgin,” alleged his wife wanted to go on the stage while he “had little use for the  stage,  practically  no  use  in  fact.”  To  seal  the divorce, Fred claimed his wife also was “going to the theater with other men.” The  next  year  redirected  Fred  Blesseʹs  entire  life.  In April  1917  the  United  States  entered  the  Great  War, and  Fredʹs  June  draft  registration  recorded  him  as  a physician in St. Louis where his older brother William was  starting  a  successful  legal  career.  In  July  Fred enlisted  in  the  Army  and  was  commissioned  a  First Lieutenant at Jefferson Barracks.   He soon was sent to Ft. Benjamin Harrison near Indianapolis, and the end of 1917 found him an Army officer, remarried with a new daughter and posted to Texas. In 1918 he was a Captain  in  the  Medical  Corps  commanding  a  Field Hospital with some 40 staff at Camp Travis near San Antonio  and  facing,  like  so  many  doctors,  the  great influenza epidemic. After  the  1918  Armistice  most  American  servicemen gladly  returned  to  their  civilian  roles,  but  Fred  had found  something  attractive  in  the  Army  life.  He remained in the Medical Corps, and the next 20 years saw him and his family leading the typically peripa‐ tetic Army life moving from post to post. Interestingly, as late as the 1920 Census when he was a doctor in the Canal Zone, he still claimed 227 College St as his US address. His  career  took  him  to  the  Canal  Zone,  Washington DC, San Francisco, Omaha, the Philippines, and Fort Leavenworth where he buried his second wife, Lila. In these years he remarried and received the Armyʹs best preparation for senior command at its Command and General Staff School, War College, and Medical Field Service School from which he was an honor graduate. In the Philippines he was the medical advisor to the Philippine  Government  and  on  the  staff  of  General MacArthur  with  the  responsibility  of  organizing, training,  and  equipping  the  Medical  Department  of the  Philippine  Army.  He  likely  encountered  another Lt. Colonel on MacArthurʹs staff serving as an advisor to the Philippine government: Dwight Eisenhower. As America prepared for war Lt. Col. Blesse was one of  the  Armyʹs  top  medical  officers.  In  July  1941  he became  Surgeon,  General  Headquarters  in  charge  of medical plans for all Army US‐based and expedition‐ ary forces. In March 1942 he took over the Medical Sec‐ tion  of  the  newly  created  Army  Ground  Forces command  and  assumed  responsibility  for  training medical personnel for the Armyʹs rapidly expanding



stateside units. In December he was promoted to brig‐ adier general and sent to North Africa becoming chief surgeon  of  the  Fifth  Army,  the  first  American  field army organized overseas. Within months, at the rec‐ ommendation  of  the  Fifth  Armyʹs  commander  Gen‐ eral Mark Clark, Fred was promoted to Chief Surgeon of the North African Theater and deputy chief surgeon of Allied Force Headquarters. His responsibilities were as big as his titles, managing the medical care of hundreds of thousands of Allied troops and POWs across the Mediterranean and exer‐ cising considerable tact with British medical staff. In the summer of 1943 while overseeing medical care for the battlefields on Sicily, Fred also faced the challenges of malaria, malnutrition, dysentery, venereal disease, and in August 1943, Lt. General George S. Patton. On a morning in mid‐August 1943 Fred met with his boss, General Dwight Eisenhower, the Supreme Com‐ mander of Allied troops, in Ikeʹs Algiers office. Fred had bad news: Ikeʹs most valued combat general, the leader of his campaign to capture Sicily, had attacked an American soldier in a military hospital. Patton, visiting a field hospital a few days earlier, had encountered  a  young  soldier  shivering  but  with  no visible injuries. Asked why he was in the hospital he told Patton “Itʹs my nerves. I canʹt stand the shelling anymore.” Patton regarded “battle fatigue” as simple cowardice.  Screaming  that  the  soldier  was  “a  god‐ damned  coward”  and  “yellow  bastard,”  Patton slapped him repeatedly, waved a pistol in his face and ordered  the  medical  staff  not  to  admit  the  man.  The staff was appalled. Only a few days earlier Patton had slapped  another  hospitalized  soldier.  And  far  from sharing  Pattonʹs  skepticism  of  battle  fatigue,  Fred Blesse was including psychiatrists in his medical staff and valued their contributions. The unitʹs chief surgeon reported the incident up his military  chain  of  command  to  Pattonʹs  subordinate Omar Bradley. Bradley was disgusted by the informa‐ tion but out of loyalty to his commander refused to go over  his  head  and  convey  it  further.  Another  report went up the medical command. If Eisenhower would get the full story it would be up to Fred Blesse. Ike  initially  thought  Fredʹs  report  was  just  Patton being  Patton.  He  had  known  the  man  for  25  years, knew him to be flamboyant in his dress, actions, and emotions and consumed in his self‐conceived destiny of warrior glory. The man called “Old Blood and Guts” just needed a little corrective “jacking up.” But as Ike read  Fredʹs  information,  which  detailed  the  incident slap  by  slap  and  curse  by  curse,  he  realized  he  was confronting  a  public  relations  nightmare  that  threat‐ ened not only the career of his most aggressive combat general but even his own status and his missionʹs suc‐


cess. He agonized over his course of action, confessing to  Fred  that  for  all  his  difficulties  Patton  was  indis‐ pensable to the war effort.  Concerned to get ahead of the situa‐ tion, Ike instructed Fred to go to Pat‐ tonʹs command in Sicily, investigate the  matter  further,  and  deliver  a handwritten  letter.      Pattonʹs  diary recounts how “[a]fter lunch General Blesse,  Chief  Surgeon  A.F.H.Q., brought me a very nasty letter from Ike…” The letter acknowledged Pat‐ Patton tonʹs  “incalculable  services”  but warned  that  these  did  “not  excuse brutality,  abuse  of  the  sick,  nor  exhibition  of  uncon‐ trollable temper in front of subordinates.” Ike threat‐ ened  that  he  had  such  questions  about  Pattonʹs judgment  and  self  discipline  as  to  “raise  serious doubts in my mind as to your future usefulness.” Pat‐ tonʹs diary records that he felt “very low.” He would have no military command in battle for almost a year.  A few days after his meeting with Fred, Ike met with three reporters who were pursuing rumors about the incidents.  Ike  was  prepared,  and  he  exercised  his charm and candor so effectively that the reporters did not publish the story despite their desire to see Patton fired. The matter remained out of the public eye until November  21,  1943,  when  journalist  Drew  Pearson disclosed a garbled version in his radio program. The affair  exploded  for  days  across  the  front  pages  of American  newspapers  including  the  Elgin  Courier‐ News.   Public and political outcries against “brutality” and a “cover‐up” were joined with Congressional calls for investigations. It took all the power of Secretary of War Stimson and even the White House to quiet the outrage and show that Eisenhower had indeed taken action appropriate to the military situation.                          In  his  Eisenhower  biography  historian  Carlo  DʹEste writes that “[o]f his many reckless acts committed by Patton in his lifetime, none was to prove more ruinous than his slapping two GIs in Sicily.” Yet the careers of Eisenhower and Patton were preserved for their “cru‐ sade  in  Europe”  in  1944  and  1945.  Arguably,  Fred Blesse was the essential figure in the successful resolu‐ tion of this affair. He stood up against the abuse of his medical  subordinates  and  their  patients.  He  was  the one who gave  Ike the full facts, helped the Supreme Commander  appreciate  their  seriousness,  and  was entrusted  with  delivering  Ikeʹs  confidential  personal censure and warning to Patton. By alerting Ike to the details and full gravity of the incident, Dr. Blesse had helped  prepare  him  for  media  inquiries  and  to  take strong enough action that he would be able to save his and  Pattonʹs  careers  when  the  matter  inevitably reached the front pages.



Fred Blesse served in the grueling Mediterranean the‐ ater  until  the  spring  of  1944  when  he  returned  to Washington as Chief Surgeon, Army Ground Forces. He  retired  from  the  Army  in  November  1948,  and spent  the  remainder  of  his  life  as  a  doctor  in  Rich‐ mond, Virginia. Brigadier General Frederick A. Blesse died  on  June  4,  1954,  and  is  buried  in  Arlington National Cemetery. Remarkably,  Fred Blesse was not the only Blesse  boy  from  Col‐ lege  Street  to  have  a notable medical career in  the  military.  Fredʹs younger  brother Henry  was  a  much‐ decorated  com‐ mander  of  a  hospital unit through the worst fighting  of  the  Italian campaign.  A  photo‐ graph  shows  General Fred  Blesse  congratu‐ lating  Colonel  Henry Blesse  on  his  Silver Star for Henryʹs heroic conduct at Anzio. The  Blesse  familyʹs  military  lineage  continued  with Fredʹs two sons who graduated from West Point. His eldest son, Frederick C. Blesse, was an Air Force Major General,  a  “double  ace”  in  the  Korean  and  Vietnam wars, Americaʹs sixth ranking jet ace, and the author of a text on fighter tactics, No Guts No Glory, used by air forces around the world. Aged 91 he joined his father in Arlington last year.

2013 Thunderbird Car Show Here  are  some  pictures  of  this  year’s  Thunderbird Club Car Show held at the Museum. Thanks to board member Dennis Roxworthy for setting up this fun and colorful event, and to all the volunteers who gave their time to make it happen.

Classic Thunderbirds on Display .

Live Music Provided by Mandy Z and Rural Route 1

General William Lynch, Civil War Hero  Part 1 David Siegenthaler

Brigadier General Fred Blesse  Elginʹs houses have many stories. The next time you visit the Elgin History Museum look across the street to the home at 227 College and remember the immi‐ grant saloon keeper Henry Blesse and his remarkable descendants. 6

William  Francis  Lynch  was  born  March  12,  1839  in Rochester, New York. His parents, Timothy and Cath‐ erine,  had  emigrated  from  Ireland  the  previous  year with their first child, Eugene. The family came to Elgin in 1845. Settling on Elginʹs west side, Timothy became a  successful  general  store  merchant.  The  family  had seven children by 1854, when Williamʹs mother passed away.  After  attending  Elgin  public  schools,  William became a member of the first class at Elgin Academy when it opened in December 1856. In 1855 in Elgin an amateur militia unit was formed to practice military drills that had become popular after the war with Mexico. The discipline and patriotic fer‐ vor of the military were intensely attractive to young William. Samuel Ward, an organizer of the Elgin unit, was from New York and was impressed by the dress of the Albany Continentals, with their colonial garments, cocked hats and plumes. The Elgin unit adopted this



1776‐style garb and became known as the Elgin Conti‐ nentals. Considered Elgin’s young elite, they or their families  were  persons  of  means  who  could  afford  to establish their own armory, engage their own instruc‐ tor,  buy  fancy  uniforms  and  participate  in  perfor‐ mances and competitions. In  1858  they  secured  the  services  of  young,  talented and charismatic drillmaster Elmer E. Ellsworth, who would become the first Union officer killed in the Civil War. Ellsworth was trained in the “Zouave” method of light infantry drills that awed spectators with their col‐ orful precision drill movements and dashing ferocity. The Elgin men were a highly proficient military unit. In late 1858, Williamʹs father sent him to the University of  Notre  Dame.  One  of  the  reasons  appears  to  have been a wish to get him away from the glamour of the Elgin uniform. However, Williamʹs love of the uniform and all that it represented was not diminished. Soon after he entered Notre Dame the Universityʹs existing military  company  was  changed  to  the  “Continental Cadets,”  probably  through  his  influence,  and  he quickly  became  its  drillmaster.  In  1859  William became  captain  of  the  Cadets  and  had  the  uniform changed to a handsome American Revolution style. Williamʹs  love  for  military  work  obsessed  him  even more  at Notre Dame than it had in Elgin. His father thought he was giving too much time to the company and,  to  Williamʹs  chagrin,  ordered  him  home  in  late 1859.  Back  in  Elgin,  he  resumed  his  connection  with the Elgin Continentals, his military passion undimin‐ ished. In September 1860 his father permitted him to return to Notre Dame, where he was immediately re‐ elected captain of the Cadets. In  April  1861,  soon  after  the  start  of  the  Civil  War, President Lincoln called for 75,000 troops. The citizens of South Bend, where Notre Dame is located, held a public meeting to take action on the request. The many speakers all counseled moderation. William was there, and  chafed  at  what  he  deemed  mere  platitudes.  He arose, tall and soldierly, his Irish eyes burning. As the Notre Dame Scholastic reported it, “The vibrant ring of the first sentence he rattled out above the heads of the good  citizens  made  them  catch  their  breath.  In  five minutes  they  were  frantic;  and  when  the  boy  told them at the end how he was going to the front to shed the last drop of his blood if needed for the Union, the audience leaped to its feet; cheer after cheer rang out wildly, and a company of the First Indiana Regiment was organized on the spot.” Though his Cadets were ready to go at once, the Uni‐ versity president declared that he had no authority to let any boy under the age of 21 enlist without permis‐ sion. William and the older boys enlisted as privates in South Bend and were sent to Indianapolis where they remained a month before being sent home because the Indiana quota was filled. THE CRACKERBARREL

William then went to Chicago and enlisted as a private in the 23rd Regiment Illinois Volunteers (the Irish Bri‐ gade)  commanded  by  Col.  James  Mulligan.  William was  made  sergeant‐major  but  was  absent  from  the unit on a recruiting detail when Col. Mulliganʹs regi‐ ment was captured by Confederate forces in Missouri. William went to Springfield and boldly asked Gover‐ nor Yates for authority to recruit a regiment himself. The  Governor  sought  assurances  that  he  could  com‐ mand a regiment. William referred him to Congress‐ man  Colfax  and  Indiana  Governor  Morton,  both  of whom he had met at Notre Dame. Receiving positive references  from  both,  the  Governor  told  William  to recruit  the  58th  Illinois  Infantry.  At  22,  William  was one of the youngest men ever commissioned to raise troops. It  is  uncertain  how  many  Elgin  residents  enlisted  in Williamʹs regiment. The Elginites who did enlist were virtually  all  Irish,  with  surnames  such  as  Murphy, Hannigan, Kelley, and OʹBrian. It also included two of Williamʹs brothers: First Lieutenant Eugene Lynch and Captain David Lynch. On December 24, 1861, his reg‐ iment was mustered into service. In January 1862 William was appointed Colonel. Now in command of his own regiment, William saw his first battle action in February 1862, participating in the cap‐ ture  of  Fort  Donelson  in  Tennessee,  the  first  major Union  victory  of  the  war.  It  was  here  that  Bar‐ tholomew Kelley was killed, Elginʹs first battle casu‐ alty of the Civil War. In  April  1862  in  Tennessee,  the  bloody  holocaust  at Shiloh took place. In no other Civil War engagement were so many from Elgin Township on the field and so many  casualties  among  them.  Eight  Elginites  were killed, including Sam Ward, the leader of the old Elgin Continentals. Williamʹs regiment was at the center of Grant’s line, the very thickest of the battle. His troops were  massed  in  a  position  so  impregnable  and  with such fierce defenders that it won from the Confeder‐ ates the title “Hornetʹs Nest.” Eventually his regiment was forced to surrender, but not  before  William  planned  a  bayonet  charge  to  cut their  way  through  the  enemy.  However,  an  officer from an Iowa regiment fighting with them thought the charge was suicidal and waved a white handkerchief on his bayonet as a token of surrender. William cut it down with his sword but the officer raised it again. By this  time  the  enemy  had  closed  their  lines  so  effec‐ tively around them that surrender was inevitable. Both  sides  claimed  victory.  The  North  remained  in possession  of  the  field  but  the  South  captured  2,200 officers  and  men,  including  William,  who  was wounded in the mouth and elbow. He was sent to the




infamous  Libby  Prison  in  Richmond,  where  he remained  until  he  was  paroled  in  October  1862  in  a prisoner exchange. Following  his  release,  William  and  members  of  his regiment received a royal welcome from the citizens of Elgin.  On  October  21,  1862,  at  a  Union  rally  in  Chi‐ cago, William declared: “I hardly need tell you that I have  always  been  a  strong,  uncompromising  Demo‐ crat…I considered the Abolitionists and Republicans the enemies of the Union. I will not say so now…I was opposed  to  Abraham  Lincoln.  I  am  now  opposed  to every man who opposes Abraham Lincoln.” Much of the opposition to Lincoln and his emancipa‐ tion policy centered among the Irish, most of whom were  common  laborers  in  the  distillery,  the  tannery and  the  river  mills.  The  Irish  resented  the  possible competition  for  jobs  from  the  freed  slaves.  Though they were not Abolitionists, the Elgin Irish were unde‐ niably patriotic. The pro‐Lincoln, pro‐Union attitudes of returning Irish veterans, like William, helped Lin‐ coln carry Elgin Township in his 1864 re‐election. To be continued…. Acknowledgements: Mike Alftʹs newspaper columns; Notre Dame Scholastic, Nov. 18, 1899; the Golden Jubi‐ lee “History of St. Maryʹs Parish,” (1903); Chicago Tri‐ bune, Oct. 22, 1862; various other books and references. 8

General WIlliam Lynch of Elgin, Civil War Hero




The Crackerbarrel - Elgin History Museum

Elgin Area Historical Society News The Crackerbarrel VOLUME 50 NUMBER 4 SEPTEMBER 2013 26th Annual Cemetery Walk Sept 22 President’s Report Laura ...

987KB Sizes 5 Downloads 0 Views

Recommend Documents

Abertella - Natural History Museum
Diagnostic Features. Test very thin with flat base and sharp margin. Internal supports comprising adradial bars and stel

himenópteros - Natural History Museum
Los encírtidos se encuentran en todas las regiones de la tierra donde haya vida vegetal. Como parásitos de insectos fi

Staff directory | Natural History Museum
The Natural History Museum; Cromwell Road; London SW7 5BD; Map. Open daily 10.00-17.50; Last entry 17.30; Closed 24-26 D

Elgin Community College (ECC) Homepage - Elgin, Illinois
Elgin Community College (ECC) located in Elgin, IL, offers high quality technical, career, adult education, distance lea

Elgin News - Elgin Courier-News - Chicago Tribune
Elgin, Ill. news, crime reports and top stories from the Elgin Courier-News.

Museum of Mississippi History, Mississippi Civil Rights Museum tell
18 hours ago - Survey the damage caused by Hurricane Katrina and other natural disasters. • Reflections At the end of

Reference Manual - Computer History Museum - Archive Server
This edition, 028—6000—2, is a minor revision of the previous edition, C28-6000-1, but does not obsolete it or ....

Newsletter - Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
Yup'ik Science Exhibition: • Labrador Research: ... Anchora

About - Las Vegas Natural History Museum
Las Vegas Natural History Museum Annual Report (PDF Format) ... 2014/2015 Financial information - Form 990 (PDF Format)

The Philosophy of Biological Systematics - Natural History Museum of
Various tree building programs (e.g., MrBayes, POY, and TNT). P Systematics courses usually focus on .... and abduction